Netflix has been throwing this out as a post-apocalyptic sci-fi option for some time, but I doubted that it really was. Until I saw that it took place in the far future of 2007, after the Big Quake.
Here’s a list of just a few of the amazingly awesome things in this movie:
- After the quake, apparently the only jobs that b-list celebrities can get is to anchor the news. George Hamilton, Vanna White, and Andy Dick play themselves as the local news crew.
- The Lee brothers, Marc Dacascos and Scott Wolf (who look nothing like brothers), have a station wagon with a flaming jet engine on the back. This jet engine seems to run on something that works a lot like the Mr. Fusion in Back to the Future.
- There’s a street gang that has jackets covered in graffiti. They use them as near flawless urban camo.
- The main bad guys henchmen have yin-yang signs painted in their hair. In their hair!
- After one of the street gangs captures the ridiculously muscle suited bad guy, they torture him by tieing him up and feeding him nothing but spinach.
- There’s a boat chase on a river of fire.
- During a fight scene, one of the Lee brothers gets thrown into a bunch of arcade machines, including… Double Dragon.
- It’s a great Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon connection.
- The main bad guy is played by the T-1000, and he looks like this:
5 out of 5
I loved this movie. Loved it.